And in the past 10 years or so, I've enjoyed making an effort at trying new beers. But it got to a point where I couldn't remember if I'd had a beer or not, so about 3 years ago (April 2013), I started using UNTAPPD to track my beer.
|Fun beer explorations near Kelowna, BC|
I also try not to check in the same beer more than once. But occasionally, for the sake of checking in a beer at an interesting or new location, or for changing my rating of a beer (perhaps, upon second or third taste, I change my perception of the beer), I'll check in more than one.
Here's a look at my beer tracking as pulled from UNTAPPD, for 2015.
- I tried 789 unique beers in 2015
- I enjoyed them at 120 unique venues
- I averaged 3 beers per day in the year
My Top (Combination of rating plus number of times checked in) Beers drank in 2015 include:
- Buggywhip (Abe Erb)
- Blue Collar Pale Ale (The Hamilton Brewery)
- Pale Ale (Mash Paddle Brewing)
- Paranormal Imperial Pumpkin Ale (Flying Monkeys)
- Samuel Adams Summer Ale (Sam Adams)
In 2015 I gave 61 different beers a rating of 4.5 or higher (out of five stars) and gave 6 of them a five star rating. The 6 five star rating beers in 2015 were:
- Origin Wheat - MacKinnon Brothers Brewing Co.(Hefeweizen)
- London Pale Ale - Meantime Brewing Company (Pale Ale - English)
- Not Your Father's Root Beer (5.9%) - Small Town Brewery & Taproom (Root Beer)
- Pumking - Southern Tier Brewing Company (Pumpkin / Yam Beer)
- Samuel Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin - Boston Beer Company/Samuel Adams (Pumpkin / Yam Beer)
- Nightmare on Mill Street Pumpkin Ale - Mill Street Brewery (Pumpkin / Yam Beer)
The lowest rated beer from 2015 was one called Double IPA from Stoudts Brewing Company, which I gave 1.5 stars to and left this comment: "I'm not fond of the nail polish remover aftertaste."
Among the most popular and favourite venues I checked in this past year include:
- The Winking Judge (Hamilton)
- The Pony Bar (New York City - Hell's Kitchen)
- The Craft - Brasserie & Grill (Toronto - Liberty Village)
- Phantom Canyon Brewing (Colorado Springs)
- Valhalla (New York City - Hell's Kitchen)
|Liz and I at Because Beer in Hamilton - Summer 2015|
My totals, for UNTAPPD, to date (and which started April 6, 2013) include 1,831 unique beers and 669 badges (yes, UNTAPPD does a great job of the gamification of social beer drinking). I'm pretty sure that I'll get to 2,000 unique check ins before the end of the year, and, based on previous trending, I should hit about 1900 by time the end of January rolls around.
Of course, I also have writing goals.
Now, if ONLY my goals of writing and enjoying beer could ever be merged some-how. Hint Hint - news on that to come.