Thursday, August 18, 2011

HNT - Just For Mark

I called my Mom the other day to tell her that she is now officially old.

"Why?" she asked.

"Because your son just used Just For Men on his beard." I said.


I did it mostly to give my beard a consisent colour. My beard has always varied between a red and dark brown colour, but lately 90% of my chin was pure greyish white, which made my van dyke beard (a combination of a goatee, which is just hair on your chin plus a moustache) look a little goofy - from more than a few feet away, the chin hair was so light and the rest of my beard was so dark it looked like I had one of those really long moustaches. It just bugged me.

My hair, after all, has long had streaks of grey in it and that has never bothered me. But this grey chin hair was just too unsettling.  So Fran picked me up a box of dark brown from Just for Men and in 5 minutes that grey was gone.

Interesting. Never thought I'd use a vanity product like that - but I was amazed at how simple and easy it was to use.

An interesting side-note. I'd been chatting with a buddy about beards lately and one of them admitted that, like me, whenever he shaved off his beard, he spent time in the washroom goofying around and trying various different "looks" and styles, much to his wife's chagrin. In a blog posted called Anatomy of a Shave I posted HNT pics back in 2006 of one of my "goofing around with facial hair" sessions.

Of course, I also found an interesting post from a guy named Jonathan Dyer called The Quest for Every Beard Type  - in it he is attempting to wear every possible type of facial hair - he continues to update it each year. It's hilarious.

No comments: