Saturday, August 01, 2009

Goofy Isn't All That Goofy After All

My son is into Micky Mouse Clubhouse big time lately.

Which basically means that I've been seeing a lot of Mickey and his friends.

It's a fun place to be, particularly in remembering my own fascination with the Disney Universe.

But, of course, as an adult, I tend to look at things a bit differently than I did when I was a child.

For example, I keep wondering how Mickey Mouse walks around wearing nothing but pants gloves and shoes (he seems to have forgotten his shirt), and then other characters like Donald Duck walk around with a shirt on but no pants.

Why aren't all the other characters making fun of them? Aren't they embarassed by it? Yes, I know, these are adult concerns forced upon us by Western society. Now aside from all this, wouldn't it suggest that these characters have some sort of thing going on by which they're so distracted or confused that they've forgotten to get fully clothed? I mean, in all other respects they seem to be completely "with it" -- but then there's the missing clothing option -- like they are absent-minded professors or something.

Everyone else adores them so much they just seem to let it pass. "Oh yes, Mickey's a great guy -- he forgets to put on a shirt, but he's cute and charismatic and is our esteemed leader, so we just ignore that. Oh, and Donald? Yes, he walks around without any pants on, his bare butt feathers blowing in the wind, but we feel sorry for his speech impediment and temper issues so feel it wouldn't be right to point this out."

Of course, there's one character who seems to have managed to get himself fully clothed, despite the stars being aligned against him. He's wearing not just pants and a shirt, but shoes, a vest, gloves and a hat. He's fully clothed, fully prepared.

It's Goofy.



So when you look at it, though he is clumsy and has a silly laugh, and is considered among his peers to be the least intelligent of the group, I guess that Goofy is not all that goofy after all.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Did you know that his original concept name was "Dippy Dawg" in cartoon shorts created during the 1930s; then his name was given as "George Geef" or "G.G. Geef" in cartoon shorts during the 1950s implying that "Goofy" was a nickname.One of my favorite TV episode was Goofy's Freeway Troubles

Mark Leslie said...

I think I read something about his name being "Dawg" once but didn't know all that - thanks, Cathy - I see that you have a very informative blog covering TV programs. Very interesting.