Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Piracy VS Obscurity

I believe it was Tim O'Reilly who originally coined the aphorism that the problem for most writers isn't piracy, but obscurity.

I first heard the phrase via Cory Doctorow, who is definitely a writer who helped to spread the concept by offering up pretty much all of his print novels for free in electronic format.

So recently, when I discovered half a dozen different pirated e-versions of Campus Chills (an anthology I edited last year featuring horror stories from some of Canada's finest horror writers) sitting on a peer-to-peer file sharing site, I paused for a moment and wondered if I should be angry or pleased.

I've decided that I will be bemused that more than a single someone would actually take the time to pirate and share something I had a hand in creating. (I won't go so far as flattering myself, because there are some pretty well-known "names" attached to the anthology, and it's likely those names that attracted the thieves)

No comments: