Sunday, April 05, 2009

Don't Squeeze The Bacon

What will they think of next?

Well, why not squeezable bacon? Sounds good to me.

Actually, part of me is disturbed and disgusted. The other part of me wants to go buy some and try squirting bacon paste onto ALL of my meals.

A friend of mine recently passed on info about this from ThinkGeek.com, one of the coolest places in the universe to get neat stuff.

Of course, one of the great things about ThinkGeek is that they don't just have the coolest, neatest new things, but things that have been around for decades but perhaps were only available in selected markets or regions of the world.

Vilhelm Lillefläsk, the inventor of Squeez Bacon ® developed a new way to process bacon while working in a kitchen in Sweden shortly after WW II. He created a fully cooked 100% bacon paste that could be squeezed from a tube. The process that creates it requires no preservatives or other additives so the end product is as "healthy" as real bacon.

In the classic words of Homer Simpson: "Mmmm, bacon. . ."

Okay, I was going to end my post there. But I'll be honest, this was an April Fool's joke from the good folks at ThinkGeek. And a classic one at that.

However, despite any suspicions you have, you don't find out it's a joke until you click the "BUY" button. But I have to admit, the concept still partially disgusts me, but another part of me is really sad that the "BUY" button doesn't actually lead to this marvelous product . . .

Check out the video that went along with it. It's so goofy it looks real.

Another interesting note about the video -- apparently, if you translate the Swedish to English, you get the lyrics to Rick Astley's "Never Gonna Give You Up" -- therefore you not only get fooled and disappointed about the bacon, but you get Rickrolled.

Ah, those fun people at ThinkGeek -- what will they think of next?

1 comment:

lime said...

ooof, i think my stomach did a flip flop at the thought of this.