Friday, July 15, 2005

Where Wolf?

Despite my best intentions, I didn't get more than 5 words written on my new novel project. I did get some notes, outlines, characters sketches done, though, but that doesn't show in the final word count. Man, but that word count metre is intimidating.

(I'm blaming the afternoon GO train folks for their interesting, and often low-brow humour and conversation -- due to the constant distraction of them yesterday, the only writing-editing related work I was remotely successful at yesterday was reading through a couple of submissions to North of Infinity II: Parnassus Unbound. See, Christina, I told you I'd mention you again. Oh, and BTW, Dawn-Marie, I trimmed my "devil" eyebrow last night when I got home - thanks for pointing that out)

The word count metre I used yesterday, which shows up really cool on other writer's sites (like Michael Kelly's), looked "broken" -- I tried a few different things to fix it, but can't figure out why it looks so nasty on my blog -- am temporarily trying a new one here.

Cdn Werewolf in NY
9955 / 70000 (14.22%)

Of course, there's more to do for my novel than just write it -- for one, I need to fix/validate the opening scene I've already written, and for that, need more information about the volume of vehicular and pedestrian traffic in the Battery Park / Staten Island Ferry Terminal area near South Street on the southern tip of Manhattan from about 5:30 AM until a little after 6:00 AM. I got some great info passed to me via Ellen Datlow but I'm looking for more details. I'd hate to have what I think is a wonderful opening scene's believability ruined because it wasn't properly researched.

So, if you're reading this blog and you're from NYC or have a friend who lives there, I'd love to hear from you. mark@markleslie.ca.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mark,

Yeah, very strange that the word metre doesn't seem to work correctly on your blog. Maybe it is a Blogger issue. I'm on LiveJournal, as you know. Hmmm... dunno.

Damn research. I hate doing it. Mostly because I'm lazy. ;-)