Monday, July 23, 2007

All About The Beer

I've written before on this blog that it's often all about the beer for me. One of the joys of travelling for work for me is discovering new local beers. Last night during our opening conference reception, I discovered a wonderful beer brewed in Colorado by New Belgium Brewery: Fat Tire Amber Ale. It was a simple, pleasant and light tasting beer with a smooth malty aftertaste. Easy to drink many of them on a hot night and not notice them going down. I'll certainly be trying that one again.

This evening, after our sessions ended a group of us walking along the Boulder Creek Path and headed downtown toward the Pearl Street Mall area. We ended up having dinner at BJ's Brewhouse.

I, of course, ended up choosing the sampler, which allowed me to try all 7 of their fine beers. They were all good in their own way, of course, but I favoured the Brewhouse Blonde (another nice light beer, a slightly malty taste, but smooth and goes down so easily on a hot night) and Jeremiah Red Ale (a stronger brew with a bit of a fruity aftertaste to it) the best.

Ken (who isn't pictured here, because he didn't send me the picture I took of him with his own samplers in front of him), took these pictures. The first one, is, of course, me and my seven beer -- no big shock there.

The second shot is me, Anna (UBC), Karen (San Diego State U), Randy and Lauri (U of Waterloo) -- and of course Ken (UBC) who took the picture. A fine bunch of people, not just because they're smart, lots of fun and great conversationalists -- but also because none of them made fun of the lovely pit sweat stain I was sporting.

Damn, I should have worn a lighter coloured shirt. Aw, who cares, the beer was good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I've had a few Flat Tire Amber Ale's in my day. They are indeed good on a hot day. :)

Fun times!

lecram sinun said...

Yep... those Fat Tire's are good. Looks like you're having fun.

"Just thought I'd mention that my word verification is "grrrh".