Monday, July 07, 2008

The Best Birthday Ever

Four years ago today my life altered dramatically for the better. A tough thing too, because I've been very fortunate my entire life -- I've been very lucky to have great friends, a loving family and a fantastic wife and best friend. But things got even better for me when Alexander was born.

Today is my son's fourth birthday.

I still can't believe how wonderful fatherhood has been, how completely fulfilling and exciting and fun this ride has been. And I can't believe the little baby that changed so much for me is now four years old. He has certainly taught me a lot these past four years.


We had a party for him yesterday. Two parties, in fact. One celebration in the early afternoon with a small group of his friends involving playing in the backyard at the sand table and in the bouncy castle and pool. Then, later in the afternoon we had the "family" party with aunts and uncles and cousins. Two parties, two "Happy Birthday" songs song to him; two cakes.

Alexander had an absolute blast throughout the whole day.

The best part of the day was at the end of the day when Alexander was having his pre-bedtime snack and with a giant grin on his face he said: "This was the best birthday ever!"

2 comments:

lime said...

aww, happy birthday to one very cool 4 year old. he is just so darned adorable!

just catching up on your other posts too since i have been away. condolences to you and jim's family on his passing. it sounds like a true loss of a wonderful man. thanks for sharing him with us. GREAT HNT shot too. :)

Rainypete said...

The time goes so fast but you are smart enough to enjoy it. A happy Birthday (though belated) to Alexander! He's a great guy from a great set of people.