Friday, April 05, 2019

Territorial Publishing Rights: Looking At A Ten Year Prediction

Ten years ago I had been asked to make a prediction about something that I didn't think would be around a decade later.

Frustrated with the slow manner by which publishers were reacting to the opportunities that the digital world presented, I speculated (in a wishful-thinking sort of way) that territorial publishing rights might not be a thing.

Turns out it still IS a thing.

For legacy or traditional publishing, that is.

It's not as much of a thing for indie or self-published authors.

In the latest episode of my Stark Reflections podcast, I reflect on an article I had published in the summer of 2009 as well as offering a bit of a background on why and how territorial publishing rights exist.

How they are based on securing the rights to and producing a book within a country, or shipping that book to another country where it can be warehoused for bookstore distribution.

Things that still exist, but aren't much of a concern for indie authors whose world is 95% digital.

Because it was episode 69, and because the reflection was about the summer of 2009, my lyric-infested mind went immediately to the Bryan Adams song "The Summer of '69."

A little Mark Leslie Adams anyone?

You can read the accompanying podcast episode shownotes here. You can also listen to or subscribe to the podcast there too.

Or you can listen to it online here.

Just be warned, there might be a tiny bit of me singing a parody version of the classic awesome Bryan Adams hit song.



No comments: