Wednesday, December 16, 2020

You've Heard of Elf on the Shelf Now Get Ready For

 I always enjoy a good meme; particularly the creativity that goes into it.

A recent one is the "You've Heard of Elf on the Shelf, Now Get Ready For..." and there is a visual of a something on top of something else that rhymes with it.

There is usually never any accompanying text - part of the fun is that the image itself needs to convey the punchline. Sometimes it can be a bit confusing, or a bit of a challenge, because of the multiple ways we can name things.

For example, an imagine of Darth Vader on top of a potato becomes . . . .


 

. . . "Vader on a tater."

It's usually accompanied by a hashtag such as #ElfontheShelf -- a popular celebrity meme has started to circulate using the hashtag #MyElf, in which the celebrity posts a pic of something that rhymes with their name on their shoulder.

I thought I'd play around with a few of these here.

 
The name of my company / publishing imprint is Stark Publishing. It is derived from the company my best friend Steve and I dreamed about when we were young. Stark Entertainment was meant to be STEVE + MARK. Steve got the first two letters, I got the last three. We actually ran a DJ service when we were in college called "Stark Entertainment" and in 2004, I adapted that name, with Steve's blessing (and his design of the Stark Publishing logo) to release my first book.



That's why this version is pretty spot on (and it easily gives away the hint)

This is an image of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark on my shoulder - hence, it's Stark on a Mark.

This one is a bit more subtle, and we're both dressed up. And it uses the #MyElf hashtag. (I like the visual jokes that require someone to actually think a bit about it to get it)

 
I could go with plural Marks and use a different fictional Stark family.
 
 

 
Thus - Starks on the Marks.
 
Of course, I could have gone with a common mispronunciation of my last name and went with something like this.
 
 
This is one where, even if you recognize the alien from a late 80's TV show, you have to be a bit older to catch the reference to a fictional character from the earlier television show Happy Days.


The character's name from Happy Days is Ralph Malph. Hence. Alf on a Ralph.

Or this one - same one, just with a different Ralph. (The actor from The Karate Kid)



 This is kind of fun.
 



 

No comments: