Friday, October 14, 2005

Writer's Block? No Such Thing

There is no such thing as writer’s block, there is merely a state of mind in which you either can’t decide what exactly to write or you’re not sure where to go next. I’m currently experiencing such a state, but I refuse to call it writer’s block, and I’ll tell you why -- because I’m writing. Yes, writing. And, if I had writer’s block I certainly wouldn’t be able to write, now would I?

Thus, there is no such thing as writer’s block.

Perhaps this is a fun exercise to employ whenever you think you’re experiencing writer’s block. Start typing the sentence that there is no such thing as writer’s block with one of the following words:

because
there is merely
but rather
however
and
yet

By the time you finish your sentence, you could be well on your way to resolving that thing which you thought existed, but which we both know certainly can’t exist.

The act of writing begets more writing. Thus, there is no such thing as writer’s block if you keep writing. Who cares if it is fluff, garbage or something you’ll never share with the world -- the point is, trudge through it, and you might just kick off that special little spark in your mind that you needed to prove that there is no such things as writer’s block. Who knows when that little spark might be responsible for a raging fire.

I say this because, before writing the words you see here, I sat staring at an empty page (okay it was a computer screen with an empty WORD document, but I think of it like a paper, perhaps because I like to romanticize back to those days when I was starting writing and it was either a page rolled into a typewriter or perhaps a piece of paper on the desk in front of me)

Yeah, I was exhausted after another 14 hour day at work and didn’t know what to write next, just that I needed to write. And this evil little demon snuck up, tapped me on the shoulder and said “Hi Mark, I’m Writer’s Block and I’ll be your companion for the next indefinite period. Where do you keep the beer?” I refused to listen to it, of course, and as soon as that nasty WB word started rearing its ugly head, I started typing something, anything, to vanquish it.

And heck, it seemed to have worked. Last time I looked over my shoulder, that nasty little devil spawn is nowhere to be seen, and there are still some bottles of beer left in the refrigerator. You see, it must have just been my imagination, because we all know that there is no such thing as writer’s block.

2 comments:

Christopher Willard said...

nice to see your post and i absolutely agree. i've never understood writer's blocks. just get over them. just do it. (Thanks tony little) Just keep on writing.

Anonymous said...

Well from what i've heard, some of the best writers endorse "Writers-Lax". The industrial strength laxative, guaranteed to 'gently' clear any block you may have, just don't stray too far from the 'reading room'. Let me know how it works.