Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Handwashing 101

Over the years I've resigned myself to the fact that occasionally, when in a public restroom, I'll witness a guy use the facilities then walk straight out without so much as a glance at the sink on his way out.

Sure, it's disturbing, particularly since handwashing is the single most effective way to prevent the spread of communicable diseases and infections.

Now, I'm witnessing that slightly more often here in the public washrooms at McMaster University. It's frustrating to see intelligent young men whose minds one would think might be properly educated in basic principles of hygene, particularly given the fact that the facts on handwashing are thrust at us each and every cold and flu season.

But just the other day I saw an old guy with a Santa Claus like beard whose whole persona reeked of "professor" pull the same stunt.

Sigh. Is there no hope for my male counterparts? Even the supposedly educated ones? C'mon guys, follow the instructions on the image below. Handwashing is not all that difficult and won't take that much out of your very busy day. C'mon. Give it a try. It doesn't hurt. Honest.


(Oh, and Step 7, not shown on the image above -- when using the male washrooms at McMaster, be sure to use a paper towel to open the door on your way out -- because Mr. Peepee hands ahead of you likely didn't wash HIS hands)

6 comments:

lime said...

ewwwww! that's pretty gross. i gotta say i hate touching the doors to leave. i so love the modern public restrooms that just have a twisty wall and no door to touch.

Magdalena said...

The sad thing is that I have witnessed this lack of handwashing in the women's bathroom on occasion too.

Tish said...

*LOL* Thanks for the step by step guide to handwashing! I can't believe that there are people who don't do it!

Anonymous said...

I can't fathom anyone not washing their hands.
It really strikes me as odd when I see or hear someone leaving the restroom without completely taking care of business ... eewwwww

Rainypete said...

Many a slob roam our world cleverly disguised by tidy appearances and education. I guess this is why they are so worried about the likes of the bird blu and all.

Sheri said...

I'm a fanatic hand washer. I hate public bathrooms dn totally gross out when soeone doesn't wash their hands. Like Lime, I love the twisty walls and no doors. It's funny how we all freak out about the bathroom area but what about the post office, the grocery store, and other places that the public goes to after scratching, wiping and God knows what else? ick ick ick Hand sanitizer has become my friend.