Friday, July 22, 2005

Devil With A Black Hood On

The other night at about 3 in the morning, I woke to Francine calling my name repeatedly in a panicked voice. I rolled over, and she was deep in sleep, caught in the throes of a nightmare. It took a minute or so to wake her up, reassure her that it was just a nightmare, then calm her back to sleep.

Then, convinced that her dream was her unconscious mind trying to alert us to something (not sure what), I went to check on Alexander. He was sleeping peacefully, so I moved to look out the front windows -- all clear there. Then downstairs to check the rest of the house, look out into the back yard. Finally satisfied, I went back upstairs and back to sleep.

In the morning Fran told me about her dream. In it, the devil was standing at the back door looking in. He was a man wearing a black robe with the hood up so you couldn't see his face, but she knew it was the devil -- and the door was open. Yikes.

I'm certainly glad that I didn't know what she'd been dreaming about that night because, rather than going and checking out the house, I likely would have been cowering under the bed. Even so, these last few nights while doing my pre-bedtime patrol of the house and then setting the alarm (yes, I'm one of those 'fraidy cat people who needs to ensure the "perimeter" is secure before going to sleep), I now pause near the back door, afraid to peek out, you know, just in case the devil with a black hood on is looking in at me. Gotta use that in a story some day.

Cdn Werewolf in NY
13111 / 70000 (18.73%)

No comments: