Sunday, June 28, 2009

Summer + BBQ = Dad Celebration

Today is my dad's birthday. He would have been 72 this year.

June 28th was always a really special day for the guys in my family. We always made an extremely big deal out of my Dad's birthday. It was a great excuse to have a big BBQ, get a draft ball (Northern Ontario's Northern Breweries equivalent of a keg) and celebrate summer.

Unfortunately, my dad passed away in 2003 and Northern Breweries closed it's doors in 2006.

Despite the fact that there isn't a party with lots of Northern Draft flowing, this day still holds a special place in my heart and always will.

Today, while doing work around the house and yard, I enjoyed several different beers from Ontario craft breweries in a sampler pack that I purchased Friday evening. As I enjoyed each one, I imagined cracking the beer open with my Dad and the two of us comparing notes on which one we enjoyed more.

The summer, hanging around a BBQ and enjoying a beer in the summer sun will always remind me of the fun times with Dad. I'm thankful for those happy memories.

2 comments:

lime said...

you are blessed to have such warm memories. though i am sorry for your loss i am glad you have such memories to comfort you.

May said...

Good dads should never die.