Wednesday, October 10, 2007

For Those About To Vote I Salute You

Today is Election Day in Ontario. We are very fortunate to have the right to vote, all 8.5 million eligible voters -- and the vote today also includes the first referendum that Ontario has had in 83 years. Pretty exciting.

Too bad voter turn-out has been continually declining over the years. I'm not sure if it's as much a case of civil apathy as much as it is the trend in our society to not take responsibility for one's own actions. I suppose for those who don't vote, it's easier to sit back, not bother to think about what is important to you and exercise your right to cast a ballot and then, when things don't go perfectly, blame everyone else for what's wrong.

I've seen a lot of wonderful ads aimed at helping people recognize the importance of voting using different social examples of "don't let others speak for you" -- funny that we have to use examples such as people ordering food at a restaurant or requesting a specific type of haircut to get the point across, but the ads are effective, at least to this already converted viewer.

In any case, for those about to vote, I salute you. Every single vote does count.

And in a nutshell for those who don't understand the referendum question it's simple. Do you want to keep Ontario voting the way it has always been? 1 vote for a local candidate and party. Or do you want the newly proposed Mixed Member Proportional system - 1 vote for a local candidate and 1 vote for the party of your choice.

While I'm no expert I've always wanted a better way of being able to cast my own ballot. Sometimes the party I'm leaning toward has a crappy local candidate, or sometimes the local candidate whose campaign goals and track record are admirable and would be good for us locally, but they belong to a party that, overall, doesn't have my respect. In my opinion, we'd be better off with the Mixed Member Proportional system.

But then again, that's just my opinion. And the great thing about the country we live in is that everyone has the right to express their own. So take advantage of that before the polls close. Get out there and vote.

2 comments:

lime said...

good post, mark. your neighbors to the south woudl do well to consider your words in novemeber.

Rainypete said...

I've done my part. As for the referendum bit I'm worried about the one element that nobody seems to have noticed. If we do this it results in more government. That always works out well doesn't it?