Tuesday, January 15, 2008

7 Things Tag

Imp recently tagged me with a meme in which I have to tell 7 things about myself that I haven't talked about before on my blog. That's going to be tough since I ramble on endlessly about almost everything and regularly repeat myself.

But I'll give it a shot:

1. (And I'm stealing this one from Imp because it's pretty much true for me, too) I used to be terrified of the dentist, but now I quite enjoy trips to the dentist. Okay, I'm stretching the truth. I used to be terrified of the dentist, but now I'm only mildly anxious when I visit. (Oh crap, I think I already blogged about my fear of the dentist - dang, strike one)

2. When I was young, I hated using out houses so much that when we went camping, I would go days without actually having a bowel movement. (Yes, welcome to Mark Leslie's blog where we talk about such high brow subjects as bowel movements)

3. Another thing about when I was young is that I used to think that the smoke stack in Sudbury was actually a cloud making machine. (Oh man, I think I already included that in the 101 things about me -- still unfinished, BTW -- as well as another blog post about Sudbury's largest erection. Sigh. Strike two)

4. Misheard lyrics aren't so common now that you can easily look them up on the internet, but despite being a huge fan of Phil Collins and thinking I knew the words to all his songs, I used to think that when he was singing the words "Oh Lord" in the song "In The Air Tonight" that he was singing the words "hold on."

5. Speaking of lyrics, I never misheard the Jimi Hendrix song "Purple Rain" to have the words "excuse me while I kiss this guy" which was a common mis-hearing of the song. I always knew he was kissing the sky. (Of course, I didn't realize it was drug talk and when I heard the song I tried to imagine him actually puckering up and kissing clouds and things -- or maybe I imagined him standing on tippy toes and trying to kiss that cool narrow blue strip of "sky" that kids often put at the very top of their drawings.)

6. I'm still deathly afraid of the monster under my bed. In fact yesterday evening when Alexander came running upstairs, terrified of the noise the furnace had made when it turned on, I was a little chilled to go down there myself. Stop laughing; I can't help it if I'm a big chicken. (Oh, what's that you say? I've already blogged about the monster under my bed? Dang, dang, dang. I guess that's strike three.

Strike three? I'm out, and I didn't even get to finish my list. Sorry, Imp, I tried.

For those reading this if you want to tag yourself for your own 7 things blog (and good luck to you getting through 7 new points without repeating yourself), go ahead and share this meme with the world. :)

5 comments:

lime said...

dude, PRINCE sang 'purple rain.' jimi sang 'purple haze.'

i still think it is the greatest irony that a horror writer is afraid of the monster under his bed. i mean i am still afraid of it too, but i'm a complete wimp.

lime said...

oh yeah, it wasn't until i read this that i found out i've been mishearing phil collins all these years too.

Anonymous said...

That's OK... if a tree grabs me at night I squeal like a girl - Disney's Snow White had that effect on me.

BTW... my latest post may be of some interest to you.

Rainypete said...

The bit with the monster under the bed doesn't surprise me one bit. I remember reading that Stephen King still gets wigged out by stuff like that too. I think being in tune with fear helps to write about it with a better impact, but then again....I'm weird too.

Melodie Norman Haas said...

Bravo! Great attempt at the list despite striking out in the end :) I don't have monsters under my bed...I am beginning to think I am missing out on alot of scary fun. And I have never had the privilege of using an outhouse.

Thanks for participating Mark!