Saturday, March 21, 2009

Twitbook

I'm normally okay with change. Sure, for most of us, the initial moments of change are unsettling -- it's human nature, after all. But I like to believe I'm open-minded enough to check out the change and see what's good about it.

Like Facebook -- the last few times they made changes, I found it uncomfortable at first, but after a day or so managed to intuitively find my way around and roll with it. No harm done, life goes on.

But this last update (about a week ago now), in which they basically tried to change Facebook from, well, from being Facebook and into a Twitter-like environment, is a bit more difficult to accept.

It's not longer intuitive -- no longer easy to check out what my friends are up to -- at least not as easily as before, IMHO.

And, a week later, despite my initial reluctance to get all flustered over the change and try to find some good with it, I'm throwing my hands up in the air. It's simply taking too long to figure things out -- and I don't have a lot of time as it is. It's meant to be a momentary distraction, a fun quick break (usually in the early morning before I take off to work) then on with the real parts of my day.

It's no longer Facebook. It's, as one of my friends pointed out: Twitbook.

Sigh. I like Twitter being Twitter. I like Facebook being Facebook. I like MySpace being MySpace. I like Second Life being Second Life. You get the point. Anyone who tries to make a single application/networking flatform do ALL those different things that draw people to each of them might not be barking up the right tree.

People use or login to the applications they do because they like them for the different and unique things they bring and can offer.

And I can't help thinking that this whole Facebook update is akin to the same grand failure Coke faced when it introduced NEW COKE.

It's 1985 all over again, this time in the virtual world.

I'm wondering when they're going to come to their senses and bring back "Classic Facebook?"

2 comments:

BTExpress said...

It's not as much fun anymore. I don't know what they were thinking.

lime said...

even my teenagers hate it, which says something