Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Freezing Rain Keeps Falling On My Head

We finally started to get winter-like conditions the past 24-48 hours. In fact, the freezing rain was so bad yesterday morning that they canceled all classes at McMaster University and closed the University. Of course, I didn't find that out until after I'd arrived. It worked out well, anyway, since my boss and I had the whole place to ourselves and were able to spend a few hours working out some issues related to an upcoming data migration that we're doing.

And you won't find me complaining about the weather. No sir. It is winter after all, and we do live in Canada. If you can't stand the snow, then stay out of nature's kitchen.


I know that freezing rain is also destructive, taking down power lines (Ancaster was without power until 2 PM yesterday), taking down trees (a huge section of a tree across the street came crashing down onto the street yesterday evening), and causing drivers to lose control of their vehicles. But there's also something magical and beautiful about it. Like the beautiful shimmering tree limbs caked in a thin translucent layer of ice. Like looking out Alexander's window at the reindeer and Santa sleigh that finally get a backdrop they deserve, wonderfully covered in the same ice, and offering a wonderful shimmer.

Yesterday I taught Alexander one of the wonderful joys of childhood in winter. Pausing to tap at and run your series along a series of icicles and listening to the way they sound like a soft musical instrument as they snap off.

4 comments:

lime said...

ok, i am REALLY ready for some winter weather myself....

BTExpress said...

I once taught my young son "...one of the wonderful joys of childhood in winter..." I taught him how to write his name in the snow when he peed. That's almost the same thing you taught your son, right?

Lee Ann said...

Stay warm!

Mark Leslie said...

LOL, Tony. I can't wait to teach Alexander that, but it likely won't be for a few years. Although, spelling "Alexander" is likely going to be a bit tough . . . he'll have to start out with just "Alex" and work his way up. :)