Monday, January 08, 2007

One Book One City - Hamilton

When I was at the library yesterday with Alexander I'd noticed that they announced the newest title in the "One Book One City" project for 2007. The book this year is Deborah Ellis' "Looking for X"

Members of the community are invited to read the book, reflect on the theme and share their perspectives on the subject of poverty. The Hamilton Public Library is making more than 200 copies available for this.

The project will culminate in May 2007 with a month of themed events entitled "Arts Speak Out Against Poverty"

I'm going to try to do my part. I'm thinking of buying a couple of copies, registering them on BookCrossing, and leaving them in a few different locations in Hamilton. Hopefully, helping to share the book with as many readers as possible. Maybe even someone who isn't aware of the "One Book, One City" thing that started in Hamilton in 2004 and help them re-discover the joy of reading and the events surrounding this novel in the spring.

It's funny that this should be the book chosen, because one of the women that I work with was raving about how wonderful this book is just a few weeks ago. We actually carry it because it's on an English course here at McMaster University. And because we also carry used textbooks, we have tons of new copies as well as used copies available for students to be able to pick up for a much more affordable price.

I'm certainly looking forward to reading this book, then passing along my copy (and potentially one or two more copies bought specifically for sharing) to more readers. As Ken Robertson, Chief Librarian at the Hamilton Public Library says: "Together, we can make a difference, one reader at a time."

3 comments:

Franny said...

What a shining recommendation! It's on my list, along with 300 other books I need to get through once I tire of Harry Potter!!! (Shouldn't be long now) Happy New Year to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait for your review of it :)

Rainypete said...

I'll have to throw this on my list of books to read. Thanks for the heads up.