Tuesday, January 02, 2007

An All You Can Contract Buffett of Illness

This past Christmas season I celebrated two unique new experiences. The first was that it was the first Christmas season in 14 years where I actually had time off at Christmas. Working in retail, you don't usually get Christmas off, but since McMaster University is shut down for the week between Christmas and New Years, the bookstore is closed. Woo Hoo. As Balki Bartokomous used to say on the old Perfect Strangers TV show: "Cousin, I stepped in something good this time."

Of course it didn't help that I got whooping cough a few days before Christmas shut-down. We ended up putting off our Christmas dinner celebration with family because Alexander and I were contagious. I did start feeling better on Boxing Day, but then the day after that, Francine got a really bad flu bug, and the day after, I got it. Man, but it was nasty. There's an old Robin Williams joke that goes something like: "Two exits! No waiting!" That's all the detail I'm going to go into. Our turkey, of course, is still sitting in the freezer downstairs uncooked. Maybe we'll celebrate Ukrainian Christmas instead.

Which leads to the second new experience. I actually lost over 10 pounds during the Christmas vacation. That's completely unheard of.

I'm so glad to be back at work so I can feel better.

5 comments:

Lil Bit said...

LOST 10# over the holidaze???
Get out! What's your secret? lol

Happy New Year!

lime said...

oh my word! that sounds completely awful for all of you. i'm glad everyone is on the mend. now go eat something before you waste away!

Sheri said...

I'm so glad Alexander didn't catch that flu bug. It's really hard on kids. Hannah had a flu bug over the holiday too...... yikes, I didn't think my washing machine could take another load of puked on bedding. blech. I'm so glad we didn't catch it.

Happy New Year Mark! And feel better vibes to you all.

Anonymous said...

You know, I bet that constant work schedule just ate away at your immune system and the first chunk of time you got off was all it needed to crash and let the partiers in!

Well at least you're on the road to recovery. And there's never a bad time to have a turkey dinner!

Blondie... said...

Wow, I hope you two are in top form asap. Congrats on the weight loss...but being sick...eck.

**hugs and a happy new year to you and yours Mark**

Ruthie/Blondie
http://waitingforfaith.blogspot.com

Sorry I unlinked everything from my profile.