Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Fabulous Fairy Tales

Tomorrow is the day that "Fabulous Fairy Tales" is being performed at St. Peter's school in Milton. My brother in law's girlfriend, Joanna, is a teacher there and every year she directs a play for a group of students to perform for friends and family. Last year she directed my play "The Show Must Go On" - I ended up writing a "Chorus" into that version for her. They did an absolutely wonderful job with this play - what a marvellous thing to see a script that you wrote being interpreted and performed.

This year, they were doing a series of twisted fairy tales and she asked if I could write some lyrics based on each of the fairy tales they were doing. Since, I don't write musical scores, I usually borrow the tunes from existing songs that are well known and introduce my own lyrics to it.

The opening song is based on the "Looney Tunes" opening theme song and starts off like this:

Once upon
Upon a time
We’ll sing a song
And it will rhyme
And we’ll give you a laugh
So you won’t ask for your money back


Other songs are for the plays Cinderella (sung to the tune of "Alouette"), The Emperor's New Hair (to the tune of "If I Only Had A Brain"), The Frog Prince Continued (to the tune of "The Brady Bunch" theme song), Slurping Beauty (to the tune of "Gilligan's Island" theme song) and the Closing Song (to the tune of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice write-up! Joanna :)